Monday, June 3, 2013

Here at the Swamp!


 
Well, after a few delays, we have arrived safely at the Swamp, where I'll be until the end of the month. Everyone finally got their papers in order, and we made the trip on Saturday.
 
Thanks to everyone who was praying for me while I had a relapse of malaria...I was very encouraged. As far as I know, I am better. I'm still not back to my full strength, but I'm on the mend!
 
We had a really great trip here...about 12 hours total. Thanks to all who were praying for that...we really could tell you were praying! We didn't have any flat tires, the roads were good, we got through the check points just fine...it was a good experience. But the bonus was the wildlife. We saw (and I got pictures of) Antelope, Kudo, Warthog, Marabou Stork, Baboons, Red Monkeys, and many birds and camels! What a great experience...the first real wildlife I'd seen the whole trip.
 
Up here in the Swamp, the main language is Chadian Arabic. Which means that the vocabulary I've been learning over the past 7 weeks has become relatively irrelevant. But I really enjoy learning this dialect of Arabic, and I am picking it up faster than I did French!
 
A few things to pray for:
 
-That we'd get all settled in, and get the house running and working again.
-There has been a water shortage, so we're trying to conserve water. Pray that the city water comes sooner rather than later.
-That the tribes in the area would continue to be at peace with each other
-That I'd adjust quickly and smoothly to the new culture and language
-That God would completely heal my body of malaria and the treatments
-That we would shine as a light in the darkness in this spiritually dark part of the world!
 
Thanks for praying!

No comments:

Post a Comment